Saturday, September 20, 2008

Life is so fragile


My heart is tender tonight as I have recently learned of the death of a super special boy who was in my primary in Wellington. His mom served as my primary secretary and is a sweet friend. His three sisters were also in my primary and Karl was their home teacher. They are an amazing family and have been such a great example to me about what it really means to have love and respect for one another.

Caleb Williams passed away during a scouting camp-out, when a sand tunnel he was digging collapsed on him. He was an amazing boy. His strength of character was phenomenal and very rare in a child as young as he, especially in this world today. He was so full of determination. He set his goals and worked hard and fearlessly to achieve them. He was respectful to his elders and kindhearted.

Jax had a special opportunity to spend several one on one hours with Caleb as, at one time Jax was wrestling and that was Caleb's passion, and he was good at it! Caleb was excited that Jax wanted to learn. He invited Jax over to his house and mentored him in wrestling. Caleb and his mom also took Jax with them on several occasions to Springville where they had wrestling practice. Caleb's many accomplishments in wrestling and other sports speak for themselves about how talented and dedicated he was.

His character didn't end with sports. I wish I could remember all the details of the little stories I have running around in my head about Caleb that his mom has shared with me. He was an exemplary boy and my heart is aching for his family.

Our whole family has just felt a hole in our hearts. My children have asked many questions and are saddened. It is so hard to make any sense about why Caleb was taken. We have to put our trust in the Lord. I'm certain their aren't many people out there with his strength of character. He is not done living and I'm thankful for my testimony of that. The Lord needed him at home to help him with something that only someone with Caleb's character could do.

I pray for his family. I can't imagine how they must feel. My heart aches for them. I'm thankful for the opportunity we had to be touched by Caleb's life. I know his example will forever stay with my son and myself.

This is a very young picture of Caleb the only one I could find in my files.

Pray for his family please.

7 comments:

Sondra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sondra said...

Amy Dear, When I read this on the news we knelt down and prayed together for his family, friends and leaders, and we'll keep praying for them, especially for his family.

It sounds like he was such an exeptional young man and will be missed so much.

Wally and Cody were gone on the scouts fall camporee last night so it really hit me to read about this young man and the accident at his scout camp. My heart has been so sad for him and for his loved ones.

Wally is a scout leader and I can just imagine his horror and heartbreak had this happened to one of his scouts. I hope they will all be ok.

I love you sweety! You have such a dear good heart! I hope that Jax will be well.

Anonymous said...

Amy, I'm so saddened by this event. I almost called you Friday night when I heared about the event. I was sure you knew the little boy. I was with Chrisit Saturday since our husbands were gone ( Brian and Jaron were at Father & sons) when it hit the news. It didn't release the name but said he was from Price moving to Mapleton and I knew you would know them.
I pray for the scouts and the leaders that were digging for him. What an awfull tragic memory.
I pray for the family.

What would death be like if we didn't know this little boy is living on?

The questions fill my mind.
Why did god need this little missionary?
Only God knows the true plan he has for this little one.

Makes you cherish your children even more.

I hope all will be well
Cyndi

Tori said...

Amy, what an appropriate post. I hope you don't mind me sneaking over to read your blog. Caleb was an amazing boy. His spirit and his testimony were so strong for a boy of only twelve. I know in my heart the Lord has put him to work doing wonderful things for His kingdom. We visited with the Williams' today, and I felt so much love as Kim told story after story of her son. It touched me in a way I can't describe. Caleb will be missed by so many people.

Trent, Natalie and Jantz said...

HI Amy!

We were very sad to hear about this tragic event. I didn't know Caleb personally but have heard many stories about him through the years. We know that Caleb is in a better place now serving the Lord. The Williams family is in our prayers. Let us know if we can do anything for you or your family!!! We LOVE you!

Trent and Natalie

Nancy said...

Amy,

I too was saddened when you called with the news of Caleb. I had heard it on the news but had no idea that the boy was from Price or that it would be Caleb. When I heard your sobbing voice on the phone it scared me because I knew something bad had happened to someone you loved. I layed awake most of the night thinking about this and why the Lord would take someone this young and talented. He accomplished more in his few years than most people do in a lifetime. I still can't imagine how his parents are dealing with this tragic event in their lives right now. I have heard you talk many times of Caleb and what an awesome kid he was and what a good example you knew he was for Jax. We are praying for his family and hope that the Lord will help the family through this.

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I don't understand why god needs all these sweet little angels to do his work , but maybe he has such a divine purpose that only a child with christ like love can do.

October 12th, 2008 at 5:15 in the morning my 17 month old cousin mackensie rae gwilliam passed away from lukemia. I can not even comprehend what it would be like to lose my baby. She was the cutest little one year old, with huge brown eyes and fat dimpled cheeks. She was diagnosed with lukemia in April and after months in the hospital it was her time to go.

We always called her little mackensie because my McKenzie was big McKenzie. I am so greatful we know that her spirit and that of Caleb's lives on in peace and happiness.
Love ya
Cyndi Gwilliam